Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:Crewmember dies in accident on set of Marvel’s ‘Wonder Man’ -Quantum Capital Pro
Fastexy:Crewmember dies in accident on set of Marvel’s ‘Wonder Man’
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 00:17:27
STUDIO CITY,Fastexy Calif. (AP) — A crewmember who was working on the Marvel Studios series “Wonder Man” died following an accident on set Tuesday morning at CBS Radford Studios in Studio City.
The man, whose name was not made public, was a rigger who fell from the rafters, according to the trade publication Deadline, which first reported the news.
“Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with his family and friends, and our support is behind the investigation into the circumstances of this accident,” a Marvel spokesperson said in a statement.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA, will be the investigating body.
Matthew D. Loeb, president of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, said the labor union was shocked and saddened.
“We are working to support our member’s family, and his fellow members and colleagues,” Loeb said in a statement. “Safety on set is our highest priority and we will assist Cal/OSHA in their investigation in any way that we can.”
While crew injuries and deaths on film and television sets have historically been underreported, there have been several fatalities in recent years that have resulted in high-profile lawsuits and calls for industry reforms.
They include the 2021 fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the movie “Rust,” when a gun that actor Alec Baldwin was pointing at her went off, and the 2014 death of Sarah Jones, a 27-year-old camera assistant killed in a train accident on the set of the movie “Midnight Rider.”
Between 1990 and 2014, at least 43 people died on sets in the U.S. and more than 150 were left with life-altering injuries, according to a 2016 report by The Associated Press. Those numbers were derived by combing through data from workplace and aviation safety investigations, court records and news accounts.
Filming is set to begin next month on “Wonder Man,” which stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and was delayed by last year’s dual Hollywood strikes.
veryGood! (9144)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Are we at a 'tipping' point? You're not imagining it. How and why businesses get you to tip more
- Adidas says it may write off remaining unsold Yeezy shoes after breakup with Ye
- Here's how much you need to earn to afford a home in 97 U.S. cities
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Royal pomp and ceremony planned for South Korean president’s state visit to the UK
- Massachusetts to begin denying shelter beds to homeless families, putting names on a waitlist
- Commercial fishing groups sue 13 US tire makers over rubber preservative that’s deadly to salmon
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Ohtani free agency sweepstakes off to a clandestine start at MLB’s general manager meetings
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Maryland officials approve settlement to reform autopsy process after teen’s 2018 in-custody death
- Man convicted in wedding shooting plays his rap music as part of insanity defense
- 3 charged with running sex ring that catered to elected officials, other wealthy clients
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- The Angels have hired Ron Washington, the 71-year-old’s first job as MLB manager since 2014
- Verdict is in: Texas voters tell oldest judges it’s time to retire
- Celebrate Disney’s 100th Anniversary With Nordstrom’s Limited Edition Collaborations
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
198-pound Burmese python fought 5 men before capture in Florida: It was more than a snake, it was a monster
FDA approves Zepbound, a new obesity drug that will take on Wegovy
Negotiations over proposed regulations for deep-sea mining plod along as pressure mounts
What to watch: O Jolie night
Caravan of 3,000 migrants blocks highway in southern Mexico
Ex-Grammys CEO Neil Portnow accused of sexual assault by unnamed musician in lawsuit
Parents of a terminally ill baby lose UK legal battle to bring her home